CoasterBuzz Podcast #109 - April 21, 2008
Download... | Length: 32:07 | Size: 14MB
| Downloads: 5811
posted by Jeff | Monday, April 21, 2008, 7:23 PM | comments: 0
Jeff and Mike review this week's news in the amusement industry.
- Michigan amusement park reaches point of regulatory scrutiny, but it still seems like a strange idea in a state with a horrible economy.
- PointBuzz celebrates ten years of serving Cedar Point fans. Jeff can't think of anything else he did for ten years!
- Schlitterbahn announces re-themed slide. It's amazing the extent that they take water parks to.
- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom accident story gets worse, as depositions imply a lack of preventative maintenance, or maintenance not prescribed by the manufacturer.
- No Dark Knight coaster for Six Flags New England, and instead there's a parade. Mike says they can build the same ride and theme it to something different instead of the movie tie-in.
- Six Flags licensing its brand for a park in China, and previously with a Middle East park. What is the Six Flags brand really worth outside of the United States?
- Shapiro tells NAB that Six Flags wants to be a content company. Jeff speculates that this is the bigger picture they need outside of the amusement business to pull themselves out of the rut they're in. Perhaps better parks won't be enough otherwise.
- First quarter numbers are up, in part because of Easter's placement. Hard to say if that's meaningful.
- Off-topic: Road construction in the Midwest.
- Gate Central system rolling out around Cedar Fair legacy parks making for a faster processing system. Mike's wife hates recycling pass pictures year to year.
Comments are closed.